Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ripping through the terrain of our lives...

Catchy slogan huh? I thought so.. Well the significance behind that slogan or "title" would have to be about this past weekend. Last week i had a stressful week, and i figured some hard core 4-wheeler riding should make things better. My gracious uncle let me borrow his huge 16 foot trailer, which was a drastic change, to the 5 by 8 trailer that i own. I had my huge Arctic Cat atv, my fathers huge dirtbike and a borrowed honda atv. I had all of them loaded down and ready for a fun ole fashion day of riding. So my father, mother, and myself set out on our journey; when i suddenly realized that my mother had never rode a 4-wheeler before. Hey piece of cake, not a big deal in the slightest..... RIGHT?? It was evident that i was wrong! Poor lady is almost 50 and does not like to be on a rough terrain when flipping over is a possibility. Going out on trails is easy for me and my dad because we have been doing it for years.. but noooo... not Angie. I was on a racing atv that had all aftermarket parts that could obtain a speed into the triple digits, pretty scary if you think about it. So i hammered down on the throttle and looked behind me, and thought; Where is my mother? She was on the top of a hill wanting to just walk down... OH NO! don't wuss out like that! thats the thought that kept entering my mind. She was really scared, petrified was the word. So to make a long story short, I drove her back to where we parked the truck and i walked on my 2 mile voyage to get the atv that i was riding. I totally under estimated how far i was.... so i got my work out for the day. When i rode back in, mom said "John Evan im sorry, i have never done this before". At first i started to think.... i wanted to say that she was being a punk and wanted to wuss out... BUT something my right mind kicked in and I said, " dont worry about it, i know youve never done this before so its ok. im just happy you came with us and had some fun". Honestly that was true, i was siked that she came with us and experienced the fun of riding. note to self, dont let mother ride down a huge hill! lesson learned. Next time ill let her ride around Aunt Shirley's lake and get a better feel for it.

2 comments:

deLa said...

tell her ill drive her around! it will be like driving miss daisy

j_webb said...

Could your mom reach the footpegs? ;-) Hah!
Yes she needs a rider course somewhere flat, like Mickey's field!
OH And,....nice metaphor......terrain of our lives....could be a soap opera maybe?